Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 2 of Meatless & Still Married



Now when I proposed that I would be going meat free for a week and trying a vegetarian diet yesterday I hadn't yet sprung the news on my husband. I spent my lunch hour busy planning my menu and shopping list so when he got home from work I could say surprise!!! Guess what, not exactly the kind of surprise your husband expects or enjoys.

The good news is, he's a supportive and loving guy, so he traipsed to the grocery store with me to buy a cart full of fresh fruits and veggies and other necessities for the week. I don't worry too much about my grocery bill, I buy what I like. I'm pleased to report that all the fresh vegetables, and few new items like veggie burgers, some new spices and some veggie boullion only added another $20 to my normal grocery bill.

So home I went with all my purchases and whipped up my first dish. Lemon Pepper Pasta and Asparagus. It was easy to prepare and it tasted delicious. My husband was impressed and called the recipe a keeper. Try it yourself and check back tomorrow to hear about my Veggie Chili.

LEMON PEPPER PASTA & ASPARAGUS
2 cups uncooked botwie pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 lb asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
grated lemon peel from one lemon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
juice from one lemon
1 can cannellini beans

Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. While pasta cooks, heat oil in saute pan on medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, asparagus, salt, pepper and lemon peel to oil and cook until vegetables are crisp tender. When vegetables are ready add lemon juide and beans to veggie mixture and cook until hot. Add drained pasta and toss.

2 comments:

  1. Hi ... found you via the POKEN from fitbloggin.

    I've been eating vegetarian for over a year now. Loving it ... feeling healthier than ever. I'm married and have 3 highschool/college-age sons and I didn't feel the need to force my eating choices on them (plus that would never work) so I do cook meat dishes for them and separate things for myself or when I make chili, I make a small pot without meat and add more beans and veges to it.

    This recipe looks great ... I'll be sure to try it.

    ReplyDelete